Stress is difficult to define or measure, but it is a major health issue in the Universe. The situation becomes worst when at the same time you need to take care of a Patient likewise.
Patients anyways into the stress and suffer badly with their own health concerns, however, family caregivers are also at increased risk for depression when they are overloaded with a lot of work regardless of their daily of work routine. It is a very tough situation not only for the patient and but also for the care takes as well. On the other hand, exhaustion, worry, inadequate resources and continuous care demands are immensely stressful.
Patient Care Management
It is a set of activities intended to improve patient care and reduce the need for medical services by helping patients and caregivers more effectively, to manage health conditions.
Patient Stress Management
Stress is the most common cause of ill health and there are many ways to relieve stress. Incorporating the simple relaxation techniques and minor changes in daily routine can reduce stress symptoms and help you enjoy a better quality of life, especially if you have an illness.
- Regular Exercise
- Use Relaxation techniques and do meditation
- Decrease caffeine
- Proper sleep, as sleep is an important way of reducing stress
Caregiver Health Issues
Caregivers are more likely to have a chronic illness than are non-caregivers, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure and a tendency to be overweight. Studies show that an estimated 46 percent to 59 percent of caregivers are clinically depressed.
Regardless of age, sex, and race and ethnicity, caregivers report problems attending to their own health and well-being while managing the patient’s care & health responsibilities. They report:
- Sleep deprivation
- Poor eating habits
- Failure to exercise
- Failure to stay in bed when ill
- Postponement of or failure to make medical appointments for themselves
Measures to Reduce stress of Family Member & Caregivers
Family members cannot stop taking care of a patient, however, by take simple and basic measures caregiver can also likely healthy, active and take care of responsibility of patient in a much better manner.
- Classify any personal barriers to good self-care of yourself
- Try to change your behavior and attitude and moving forward one small step at a time
- Most of the time, stress you feel is not only the result of your caregiving situation but also the result of your perception of it. Hence, reduce your personal stress level.
- Take sound sleep, minimum 7 hours a day
- Identify the other sources of your stress and reduce it as early as possible.
- Recognize what you can and cannot change. Don’t think much of the part which is not in your hand.
- Taking the necessary action at the right time to reduce stress, it gives us back a sense of self-control
- Detect some stress reducers that work for you and as per your situations
- Engage in activities that will make you feel more happy & healthy.
- Walk five times a week for 25 minutes.
- Exercise promotes better sleep, reduces tension and depression, and increases energy and alertness. So, Start doing exercise
Patient care is always at the top priority, but at the same time focusing on the self-care practices greatly helpful to reduction stress. Few techniques such as doing meditation, prayer, yoga, proper rest and taking nutrition. These simple yet effective measures will help a lot to reduce unwanted stress and headache for the Family members and Patient caregiver.